    SubjectRe: hardware panel control
    Hi Jens.

    > I have a spare machine that I would like to do some simple tasks
    > here, for which no terminal (and access control) is really
    > needed. For this, I thought it would be easiest to have one of
    > these small numeric panels that sell for a few dollars,
    > connected to the parallel port or serial port, and execute
    > arbitary commands for each digit (e.g. according to a
    > configuration file), controlled by a daemon or some user-space
    > program.

    > The question is, before I start reinventing the wheel, has
    > anyone done this already, can I have a look at it, and how
    > expensive would the extra hardware be? I don't think it would
    > be just the panel...

    I would suspect that networking the two machines together and just
    doing a `telnet` through to the one without a display or keyboard
    would be the cheaper option. I know that my network consists of a
    total of 9 machines, with only one monitor and two keyboards between
    them - and the second keyboard is plugged into one that won't boot
    without a keyboard, but is otherwise unused...

    > "Bastard Operators from Hell" anagrams to
    > "Shatterproof Armored Balls"

    LOL!!!

    Best wishes from Riley.