SubjectRe: Writing to busy binaries?
Date
I just looked at <linux/genhd.h> (2.0.36) and it has
__attributte((packed)) which I think is the right way to spell it in
unadorned c. The partition struct was invented for the 8 bit pc, which
had no notion of word alignment, so that is trying to tell the compiler
not to insert slack bytes to make the words line up. Since it is 8
unsigned char followed by 2 unsigned int, it does line up, but if you
look at a partition record you will see that the struct is misaligned
within the record. Where did you get your kernel headers? :-)

Oh, tar -tbzf was a typo, of course, I meant tvzf.

Lawson
>< Microsoft free environment

This mail client runs on Wine. Your mileage may vary.

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Brian Geisel wrote:

> Greetings,
> I've been compiling some programs for quite some time that have
had
> problems with one of the kernel header files, genhd.h. They use the
> partition structure which used to look like this:
>
> struct partition { yada yada } __((packed))__;
>
> and the compiler freaked out and had (I think) a parse error before the
;.
> Now the new versions (of the kernel) have replaced the __((packed))__
with
> ((packed)). I get multiply defined symbol 'packed' in every source
file
> that includes that file. Can anyone tell me what's going on. What is
gcc
> trying to do, and why might it not be doing it.
>
> I am using 2.8.1, but was having similar if not identical problems with
> 2.7.2.3.
>
> TIA
>
> geisel

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.267 / U:0.208 seconds]