SubjectRe: [patch]: adding nls to smbfs
Date
Urban Widmark enscribed thusly:
> On Mon, 17 May 1999, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> > I got your earlier message and was following up on a couple of
> > other angles. I've also got patches from "Artem V. Ryabov" <artem@abak.ru>
> > to do this as well. So it looks like we've got two efforts going on. You
> > may want to contact him and compare notes. I'm adding him in on this

> Yes, I'll do that. Thanks.

> > Volker no longer maintains either smbfs or smbmount. I maintain
> > smbmount in Samba and Bill Hawes is suppose to be maintaining smbfs in the

> linux/MAINTAINERS says differently ... (yes, Bill Hawes is mentioned in
> several places in smbfs, but then he played with a lot of fs code, didn't
> he?)

Opppsss... I wonder if Volker realizes that?

I joined the Samba team back last year to get some problems fixed
in smbmount. I had a chance to sit an chat with Volker at the CIFS
conference back last November. He told me at that time that he was no
longer maintaining the smbfs code or smbmount (something about time,
degrees, and study came up). He was glad to have me on board to take
the smbmount stuff. He told me that Bill was maintaining the smbfs code
in the kernel. I had some contact with Bill around about that time, but
nothing since. I've talked with Linus, Alan, and Peter since, but not
heard a peep from Bill.

I hope this hasn't turned into one of those situations where everyone
thought someone else was doing it and turns out that nobody was... :-/

> /Urban

Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield | (770) 985-6132 | mhw@WittsEnd.com