SubjectRe: Alpha Timekeeping - Hardware Questions
I received a reply from Colin Plumb <colin@alumni.cs.colorado.edu>, that
included the following:

> ... *many* alpha SMP systems have independent oscillators for each
> CPU. Dave "Mr. NTP" Mills has some example Digital Unix kernel patches
> that synchronize each CPU independently.

> They may have changed on recent Alphas, but in the old ones, each
> processor has its own ... clock oscillator. ...

Since Mr. Plumb has been active in the NTP community, I accept his word
on this.

If anyone knows for certain that recent systems do synchronize the CPU
clocks, it would be useful to note that in these mailing lists, so that
future development might take advantage of it.

Since I don't have access to an MP Alpha, I can't contribute further in
this area. I would like to thank everyone who has taken time to try to
resolve this.

--
B. D. Elliott bde@nwlink.com (Seattle)