SubjectRe: Ques: Sound module aliases, sound-slot-0
On Sun, 16 May 1999, Jeff Millar wrote:

> I've looked hard in the kernel and sound documentation and can't find
> any hints about how to configure "sound-slot-0" and "sound-services-0-3"
> Sound works if I add
>
> alias sound-slot-0 sb.o
>
> to conf.modules. But what about sound-services-0-3?

I had the same Q's some time ago, but had so time to hack ;-), so I
proceeded to locate sound-slot in the sources:

$ fgrep sound-slot /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound/*.c

A few more of these and you can find sound-services too. From loking at
the source you can figure that slot-X corresponds to each sound card you
may have ( device_minor>>4 ) and for the sound services-X-Y, the Y is the
least-significant bits of the device minor (ie. only 0-15.)

So my guess was that sound-services-0-3 --> /dev/dsp
sound-services-0-0 --> /dev/mixer
sound-services-0-1 --> /dev/sequencer
sound-services-1-3 --> /dev/dsp1

..and it worked. Just set your conf.modules to load the corresponding
module that supports each service. In my case all of these mapped to
sb.o. (Don't worry, the don't get loaded multiple times.) I still
haven't figured how to get both awe_wave.o and opl.o to load independently
but map both to /dev/sequencer, I guess it is too much to ask from OSS.
Ideas?

BTW, is this for the ALSA drivers? I noticed these have been in for some
time. It would be a good thing(tm) if someone updated the sound/module
documentation...

Cheers,

-Rafael

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.163 / U:0.128 seconds]