SubjectRe: Ken Thompson interview in IEEE Computer magazine (fwd)
On Thu, May 13, 1999 at 07:19:00PM +0200, Kai Henningsen wrote:

> I seem to recall more than one article in the Linux Journal pointing out
> that Virginia Power runs much of its power grids on Linux, replacing
> proprietary hardware (and seriously improving the reliability). Some
> proprietary hardware remains. None of your well-known systems in the
> picture that I recall, *except* for Linux.

The power plants & parts of power grids of a major electricity company in
the Black Forest are still mostly driven by SPS, something that pretty much
immitates the old way of controlling things with relays etc., just much
higher integrated. They don't trust computers beyond using them for
logging events ...

Ralf

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.184 / U:0.160 seconds]