SubjectRe: All the problems with 2.2.8/2.3.x and bdflush/update
On Sat, 15 May 1999, Zack Weinberg wrote:

>Here's a scenario for you: I do some operation which generates a lot
>of dirty buffers, but not enough to trigger bdflush due to low
>memory. The machine then sits completely idle for several hours. If
>update is not running, will those dirty buffers be written back?

No, but where is the problem? ;)

If you don't want to go in too much big troubles with a crash or a
power-loss, then simply run update.

>>Think if bdflush was writing the last bdflush_param.ndirty buffer. You'll
>>issue a sleep_on() but you'll get a wakeup without waiting that some more
>>buffer is been synced back to disk. And my way will avoid many task switch
>>ping-pong.
>
>If bdflush is already active, you probably wanted to be woken up at
>that point anyway. I think.

If bdflush is active you want to sleep and wait of I/O completation if
there are too many dirty buffers.

>lose on read-mod-write, and a biggish improvement on block input. The
>combination performs about the same as andrea1 by itself.

I run some bonnie here too and I changed some worthwhile thing since
2.2.8_andrea1. I have a fully-featured buffer patch almost ready against
2.2.9. I am finishing to fix a memleak (just a minor issue ;), then I'll
post it here.

BTW my code you merged into your -z patch had a minor issue (not really a
bug). Just fixed here though. Wait the new patch then feel free to copy my
code into your patch again (or take a more polite option: provide patches
incremental with my pending buffer patch ;).

Andrea Arcangeli

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.073 / U:0.148 seconds]