    SubjectRe: Capabilities done right [diff against 2.3.1]

    > > Next try with capabilities, this time against 2.3.1. Patch is completely
    > > safe and should significantly enhance system security. It is completely
    > > backward compatible: ie. no semantics change. Capabilities are
    > > implemented using elf notes (and this version parses notes correctly).
    > > Software exists for adding capabilities at runtime, so you don't even
    > > require a recompile.
    > I'm not entirely convinced. The thing with ELF notes is that they only
    > work with ELF. That may sound obvious, and it is, but it makes me wonder
    > whether it's the right way at all.

    Only other executables are a.out (nobody uses them these days) and
    scripts. But take a look: we do not honour setuid bit on scripts,
    anyway! It is perl interpretter who has s bit. So I do not think
    scripts are issue.

    > I suspect that it would be cleaner to have capabilities be a name-space
    > issue rather than an inode issue. For example, the one thing I've always
    > wanted to do with symlinks is to have symlinks that can change the
    > privileges of the lookup - it's complex and maybe not a good idea, but
    > it's a more intriguing concept and works with shellscripts and other
    > systems where you can't add ELF notes..

    Yes, going namespace would be nicer, but is _extremely hard_ as you
    would need to modify tools such as tar, cp, nfsd etc. And I doubt it
    will be usefull. As long as elf is only widespread executable format
    (and it is - sbit is not honoured for scripts and a.out is dead), I
    think this solution is pretty much ok.

    I'm really Look at Pavel

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.054 / U:81.440 seconds]