    Subjecthost (multibus) failover

    Okay, I just looked everywhere I could think of and didn't see anything
    mentioned about support in Linux for a multibus failover configuration.
    Basically, a disk would be accessible on several host adapters (SCSI
    adapters, whatever) and can be accessed through whichever ones work. This
    technique is used in (at least) VMS and NT to get more redundancy in
    several high-end storage systems, Digital StorageWorks being the one I know
    about. I'm interested in implementing this for Linux, but a few questions

    1. Is this done? Did I miss it somewhere? I'd hate to duplicate someone's

    2. I'm planning on adding some sort of new virtual block device on a new
    major number that can be associated with a list of physical block devices
    via (ioctl / proc filesystem) and forwards all access requests to the
    currently preferred path. A failure would simply cause the next available
    path to become preferred. This looks like it'll work okay. Anyone see
    problems with this approach, or a better way?

    3. Anyone have hardware that they can test this on? I don't, so if you do
    and care about this, let me know. I'll e-mail you when I have something to

    I'd like to emphasize that this isn't gonna be done some time soon. I'm
    just getting started with kernel hacking, and this just looked like
    something cool to work on that actually has a point. If people are really
    interested I'll try to get it done, but no guarantees.

    Chris Smith <>

    PS: Please CC replies if convenient -- I'm subscribed to the list digest,
    but I'll see direct mail a lot sooner.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.021 / U:4.088 seconds]