SubjectRe: Beowulf channel bonding and typo

td> George Bonser wrote:

>> How does it behave if you disconnect one of the ethernet cables?

td> Probably the same as my patch did.

td> I've talked to Don Becker about, we have an idea of a solution, I'm just
td> waiting to see what happens.

td> Note - if your using tulip based cards, you will see problems when you
td> pull the cable out.

td> Oh, what is the possible solution?

td> We talked about using the IFF_RUNNING flag - if your plugged into the
td> network, and connection is good (ie, 100BaseT, you've got a carrier
td> detected), you get IFF_RUNNING. If the carrier drops, IFF_RUNNING is
td> removed (network connection is gone - you can't run anymore, since the
td> resource has disappeared!)

td> Only one major problem with this - no driver implements it yet.

IFF_RUNNING would also be cool for other interface types. ISDN ippp
interfaces and the new ppp interfaces with autodial support of
pppd enabled, appear to be always up, even when there's no connection
established. Which is bad for dynamic routing and network management
software.

--
Michael Lausch
See my web page <http://www.lausch.at/> or query PGP key server for PGP key.