Subjectin_device.flags usage, and "tagging" interfaces
Greetings,

I have two somewhat related questions. The first is about implementing the
idea of "tagged" interfaces for firewalling code. By tagged, I mean the
ability to mark the interface as, say, a "trusted" or "hostile" interface.
For instance, a trusted interface could mean an interface on a small,
private internal LAN, and a hostile interface could be an interface on an
ADSL circuit. Different logical interfaces on the same physical interface
could each have their own settings. The goal would be to allow firewalling
code to react differently to packets received on a trusted interface versus
those on a hostile one, without resorting to specific device names.

The second question is that if I wanted to implement such a feature in a
custom firewall driver (which I am considering doing), is there already a
good location to store such information? The "flags" field of the
in_device struct does not appear to be used anywhere. If this is true, are
there any plans to use this field in the future? It might be a good place
to store data like this. For example: INIF_F_TRUSTED, INIF_F_HOSTILE,
INIF_F_RDONLY, INIF_F_WRONLY, etc.

-bp
--
B. James Phillippe . bryan@terran.org