    SubjectRe: [2.2.8] undefined reference to `disable_irq_nosync' (+ fix)
    On Wed, 12 May 1999, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

    > On Wed, 12 May 1999 wrote:
    > >I can't seem to find disable_irq_nosync in asm/irq.h, which is where I
    > >found disable_irq. The version of 8390.c contains disable_irq, and
    > >changing that back fixes the problem.
    > You want to use disable_irq_nosync() (I developed it because it will
    > provide better SMP scalability where the code is just SMP aware, and no
    > wasted time in UP). If you can't compile try to do a `make dep clean'
    > first.

    You seem to have forgotten the fact that linux also supports the Alpha
    platform. That's where I had the problem. The source was freshly untarred,
    with all patches applied, and then a make oldconfig dep clean boot modules
    so that wasn't the problem either. The fact that asm-alpha/irq.h didn't
    contain said disable_irq_nosync() was the problem, as pointed out to me by
    Ivan Kokshaysky. I of course made the mistake of not double checking the
    i386 tree for it, but that's a different matter.

    Thanks for your help,

    Bas Vermeulen

    When I shop for hardware I always look for the "Designed for Windows 95" logo.
    I really thank Microsoft(TM) for encouraging manufacturers to label their
    products this way, so I know what to AVOID.

    I stick to quality software:

    Linux 2.2.6 | IBM OS/2 Warp (TM) v4.0

    If I wanted to kill a battleship, I'd use a shitload of
    Harpoons. -- Paul Tomblin

    NT is a lot cheaper. -- Petro

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.019 / U:159.516 seconds]