SubjectRe: [VFS] move active filesystem
On Wed, May 12, 1999 at 02:13:03PM -0400, Alexander Viro wrote:
> > > Another thing to consider: behaviour of NFS-exported filesystems. That has
> > > nothing to loops. Look at the export table handling in knfsd. AFAICS it
> > > may bite you if you are moving the stuff around that way.

> Could you look at it?

I'm not at all familiar with the knfsd code, but I went through
export.c quickly. It seems that it doesn't keep hold of the dentry
for the filesystem it exports, so if you move a filesystem under it,
it will then try the lookup when accessed and fail (unless you put
another filesystem under it of course). But accesses to old files
will keep the same dentry and inode, so they will work. Really, it
shouldn't be any different to the underlying directory being renamed.
Or have I completely missed your point? (Entirely possible).

> > > And another one: interaction with lookups. I have a nasty gut feeling that
> > > in current form it has really unpleasant races waiting to happen as soon
> > > as we'll allow to move mountpoints *not* dropping the whole tree under
> > > them.

Again, I'm not entirely sure I follow :-( Could you give an example of
the type of thing you're talking about, please?

--
Matthew Wilcox <willy@bofh.ai>
"Windows and MacOS are products, contrived by engineers in the service of