    SubjectRe: make boot fails
    On Tue, 11 May 1999, Andrzej Krzysztofowicz wrote:

    > > > System is too big. Try using bzImage or modules.
    > > ^^^^^^^
    > > > make[1]: *** [zImage] error 1

    > It seems that you have reached the limit (1MB - 16B) of the kernel
    > size on i386 that can be currently handled by its internal bootloader.
    > I don't know if it is possible for lilo/loadlin to handle larger
    > kernels.

    Err, I'm sorry to tell you that you've misread his posting. He had
    problems doing a "make zImage". This is because zImage has a limit of 640k
    for the kernel, AFAIK. His kernel was over 648k! If he had used "make
    bzImage", he would have had the ability to build a kernel up to 16MB in

    It goes without saying you'd better have a bootloader with the ability to
    load bzImages (LILO release 20 or better).

    "A mind opened by new ideas cannot return to its original limits"

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.034 / U:44.812 seconds]