SubjectRe: make boot fails
On Tue, 11 May 1999, Andrzej Krzysztofowicz wrote:

> > > System is too big. Try using bzImage or modules.
> > ^^^^^^^
> > > make[1]: *** [zImage] error 1

> It seems that you have reached the limit (1MB - 16B) of the kernel
> size on i386 that can be currently handled by its internal bootloader.
> I don't know if it is possible for lilo/loadlin to handle larger
> kernels.

Err, I'm sorry to tell you that you've misread his posting. He had
problems doing a "make zImage". This is because zImage has a limit of 640k
for the kernel, AFAIK. His kernel was over 648k! If he had used "make
bzImage", he would have had the ability to build a kernel up to 16MB in

It goes without saying you'd better have a bootloader with the ability to
load bzImages (LILO release 20 or better).

"A mind opened by new ideas cannot return to its original limits"