SubjectRe: ISDN and the Latest Kernels ...
On Mon, May 10, 1999 at 10:46:17AM +0200, Marc.Hansen@tg.fh-giessen.de wrote:
> On 10-May-99 Brian Schau wrote:
> > When is the latest isdn drivers and the latest kernel gonna' meet?
> > It's quite frustrating not being able to get decent isdn setup ...
>
> ftp.suse.com/pub/..
> Marc

That's not right: If you look closely, you will see that the ISDN code from
the CVS archive (or the snapshots at ftp.suse.com) simply overwrites the
kernel code. So you will loose all the work that has been done to get the
ISDN stuff running on non-Intel platforms, especially the onboard ISDN of
certain SparcStations.

I have pointed that out weeks ago on de.alt.comm.isdn4linux, which is gated
to the ISDN4Linux mailing list with absolutely no reaction at all.

It seems to me that ISDN4Linux and the Kernel have drifted apart and will
stay so. I am not sure what to do about this. My guess is that somebody
in close contact both with the ISDN developers and Linus needs to take
a week off and get the act together.

While we are at it: Anybody working on adding RFC1570 callback to Linux?
Right now we can do "Q.something" callback (by D-channel signaling) and
CBCP. But many companies run CISCO's for their secure communication (as
mine does) and they won't work with this. I browsed the ISDN4Linux archive
and all i found was "Nobody needs this anyway" which is not true.

I would take a shot at it, but my understanding of the ISDN code is very
limited and i would hate to duplicate somebodies work already in progress.

Yours,
Dominik Kubla

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.058 / U:0.104 seconds]