SubjectRe: OFF TOPIC - ac version of kernels...
In <Pine.LNX.4.10.9904080816020.20186-100000@chris.symsystems.com> Chris Hirsch (chris@symsystems.com) wrote:
> Can anybody tell me what the ac version of the new kernels means? I'm
> currently running 2.2.5 and for whatever reason netscape seems to scroll
> slower than 2.0.34...I thought about upgrading further and I keep seeing
> ac appended some kernel versions. I've looked around (although I'm sure I
> didn't use the right keywords) and I can't find any info on what the ac
> is.

Take a look on ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/alan/2.2/

ac kernels are like sedimentation tank for the very latest and greatest
patches. There are some new exciting features and latest bugfixes. When
patches are tested and works fine they are feed to Linus. When patches
are tested and NOT works fine thay are postponed or just droped. So you
sometimes can find there fixes for your problems and sometimes it will
just refuse to boot or will do some nasty things. In short: try them if
you have enough time but do not bother Linus with ac kernels problems
if problems can not be reproduced with stock Linus's kernel (feel free to
bother Alan in both cases of course :-)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.870 / U:0.460 seconds]