SubjectRe: vremap and memcpy_to_fs in 2.2.x?
Richard Henderson wrote:
> DO USE copy_to_user or put_user. First, it plugs big oops leaks.
> Second, nice systems like m68k or Sparc64 put userland in a
> completely different address space, so assignment won't even
> pretend to begin to work.

I have a device driver (which I did not write) which looks up pte
translations so it can access user space memory directly. The
assumption than the memory is locked is safe.

It does this so that an interrupt routine is able to play with the user
space memory. After the lookup, the correct memory is accessed even
when the MMU context is changed.

To play nice with those nice m68k and sparc64 systems, is there an
equivalent that the device driver should be using?

Thanks,
-- Jamie

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.035 / U:0.644 seconds]