SubjectRe: Appletalk in the kernel causes garbage ethernet packets
Aaron,

The problem is your ethernet card. Many of the Intel networking
cards have to go into promiscuous mode to do multicast properly(
needed by appletalk). We had the same problem here. Replacing
the card with a Netgear FA310-TX cleared the problem away
completely.

Matt

Aaron Passey wrote:

> I have been playing around with Netatalk for a while now and have
> been having serious problems with it. Soon after I start running Netatalk,
> my machine starts spewing huge numbers of completely corrupted packets. It
> doesn't spew continuously -- every few minute (from 1 minute to an hour) it
> sends out a burst. I don't have a dump of the packets but I have looked at
> them. Even the source ethernet address is random. The spew takes up maybe
> 1/4 of the bandwidth of our 100base-T network. Even after killing
> Netatalk, the packet spewing continues until I reboot the machine.
>
> I have tried this on single and dual processor machines, with all
> of the 2.2 kernels (including 2.2.5 with its small appletalk fix), and with
> three different versions of the netatalk daemon (1.3.3, 1.4b2, and
> 1.4b2+asun2.1.3). My netcard is the Intel EtherExpress Pro 100. The card
> is hooked to a 10/100 switch. I've tried PII and K6 computers.
>
> Has anyone else run into this problem? Is anyone else sucessfully
> using Netatalk with the 2.2 kernels and hardware similar to mine?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Aaron
>
> -

Matthew B. Marlowe mmarlowe@methodfive.com whether due to a long
Dir. Network Services (p) 909-799-3805 life or really fast
m e t h o d f i v e (f) 909-799-3285 cpu's, I don't care - Linus