    Subject[OT] [NEWS STORY] Crap on MSNBC
    You can download the "Executive Summary" for free from
    if you want to evaluate it for yourself, rather than letting MSNBC
    think for you (unfortunately, too many people will...). Or you could
    shell out $1000 and get the whole report, as well as the right to
    annoy the author via a teleconference. Personally, I chose the

    I think it's a good read. Their assessment was "tough but fair" in
    many regards, and I think that linux came out in a relatively good
    light. They seem to have deliberately taken a very conservative view
    on what is "part of the OS," which is a double-edged sword... anything
    that's not explicity part of RedHat 5.2 or Caldera OpenLinux 2.2 is
    not considered official, but similarly, anything that is not available
    from MS, HP, Sun, IBM, SGI, or Compaq directly is discounted (but
    often mentioned) as well. They are also evaluating the "enterprise
    computing" abilities of these OSes, rather than overall performance,
    so the MSNBC story was a bit negligent in downplaying the fact that
    the report is for a specific niche market.

    Anyway, read the pdf document... it's much more interesting/relevant
    than the MSNBC story.

    - M

    Mark "Monty" Montague | | I don't do Windows(tm)
    DON'T PANIC! I'm a trained professional, and far more | *Why* question
    qualified to panic in this situation than you are. | authority?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.030 / U:5.256 seconds]