SubjectRE: /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes
On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, Riley Williams wrote:

> As it happens, I don't believe .rpm is inferior to .tar.gz at all, but
> as that has no relevance to Alex's stupidity, I'll say no more on that
> subject.

Since you called me stupid, I'd hardly think you have anything worthwhile
to say, but I'll reiterate my points to get it through your thick
skull (without using a blunt weapon)

RPM is a format that makes it difficult for those of us unwilling to
download and use the rpm software to get at the packages - especially
those that are only available in rpms. For many of us that don't use or
are not interested in RPMs, that does lock us out of that segment - and
hence, leaves us with the distinct impression that those authors would
have us go to all that twaddle to get at the sources.

Tarballs (*.tar.gz files) are the true tried and tested method for
distributing _SOURCE_ code. I myself distribute my source code in
tarballs, and in nothing else. I leave it up to the distributors (i.e
RedHat, Debian) to repackage them for their distributions. I think I shall
put in a provision in my sources in future to force people to give an URL
pointing to my tarballs for those who wants it.

Another reason for myself wanting the sources is to protect myself from
knobheads putting out "modified" binaries that leaves my systems with
security problems - see previous articles in this mailing list for the
Utils-linux 2.9i trojan saga.

Authors willing to write code had better be prepared to distribute
tarballs for those of us not "enlightened" with RPMs.

Now do you understand?!

Cheers,
Alex
--
"Bullshit. It's a cesspool, and has been for a long time. RMS chucked
another turd in our midst and his sheep drop their daks and follow suit."