    SubjectRe: /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes

    On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Alex Buell wrote:

    > On Sun, 4 Apr 1999, Chris Ricker wrote:
    > > Furthermore, don't you think you're being just a tad bit petulant?
    > > It's in RPM because the author (Stephen Tweedie, I think) chose to do
    > > it that way. "He who writes the code gets to make the rules." It's
    > > not like he posted it in rot-13, uuencoded, and then binhex4 or
    > > something absurd like that--rpm is a fairly standard Linux file
    > > format, particularly given that he's a RH employee.
    > I have to grumble about things like this because there are many of us who
    > don't use RedHat and wouldn't know what RPM is or even *WANT* to use it!
    > Furthermore, essential files that are meant to be part of Linux shouldn't
    > be distributed in a format proprietary to RedHat. It's fine if they use
    > RPM on their distributions but DO NOT LOCK the rest of us OUT! I have a
    > number of bitches about RedHat too but this isn't the place or the time
    > for these (take it to slashdot =)

    I don't use RedHat, and I may not care for RPM, but having to type 1 extra
    command to convert an RPM into a format of my choosing is not a big deal.
    Also, RPM isn't exactly proprietary to RedHat - there are other
    distributions using it, and its under the GPL. I fail to see how anyone is
    being "locked out".

    Andrew Kieschnick

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.019 / U:8.032 seconds]