SubjectPorting Greg Lehey's rawio.c from FreeBSD to Linux...
Folks,

I don't want to get into any OS wars here, but I'd like to do some
low-level disk benchmarking of a Linux system using the same tool I used
for that under FreeBSD, namely Greg Lehey's "rawio" (see
<ftp://ftp.lemis.com/pub/rawio.tar.gz>).

This program was originally written to test his "vinum" software
mirroring/striping/RAID device driver for FreeBSD (see
<http://www.lemis.com/vinum.html>), but I believe that it would be
generally useful to do low-level disk testing under most any *nix OS.

Now, I understand that normally, Linux does not allow access to raw
disk devices, but this is a case where I want to test the hardware
configuration and the stripe size I've used for our drive array, and I
want to eliminate any variables that depend on other things like buffer
cache, etc....

Anyway, if there's anyone out there with any experience in porting
programs that do low-level disk I/O, I'd appreciate it if you could take
a look at this program and give me some pointers on what it would take to
get it to compile and run under Linux (specifically, Debian Linux with
kernel 2.2.6).

I'd appreciate any pointers you might have. Of course, I'm not
subscribed to this mailing list, so I'd appreciate it if you would
carbon-copy me on all responses to this thread.

TIA!

--
Brad Knowles <brad@shub-internet.org> <http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/>
<http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE38CCEF1>

Your mouse has moved. Windows NT must be restarted for the change to
take effect. Reboot now? [ OK ]

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.087 / U:2.640 seconds]