    SubjectRe: Performance Comparision
    Alan Cox wrote:
    > > Quips and FreeBSD in the same machine 13M net quips. FreeBSD
    > > takes 2.5 hours to complete the test and linux in both kernels takes
    > > 5 hours ( ?? :( ) The Windoze machine never complete the test
    > Thats not a meaningful test btw. The glibc headers take longer to compile
    > because of all the extensive standards features and optimisations.
    > A valid compile test would be to build say the BSD ones with a BSD
    > target compiler on BSD and Linux.
    > Alan

    Pardon my insolence, but perhaps someone could enlighten me as to what
    this has to do with compiling? From what I could read in the original
    message, and from what 'Search' told me, 'compile' was not mentioned
    once in the message.

    Whether or not the speed test was meaningful, I don't know, not having
    used HINT. But tests like this certainly remind us of, if not shed new
    light on, possible problems that could be addressed. Especially if the
    benchmarks were run with a credible benchmarks package.

    But I digress. How did we come up with compile out of his message?

    Matthew Vanecek
    Course of Study:
    Visit my Website at
    For answers type: perl -e 'print
    except me. I'm always getting in the way of something...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.019 / U:64.116 seconds]