SubjectRe: Performance Comparision
Alan Cox wrote:

> > Quips and FreeBSD in the same machine 13M net quips. FreeBSD
> > takes 2.5 hours to complete the test and linux in both kernels takes
> > 5 hours ( ?? :( ) The Windoze machine never complete the test
>
> Thats not a meaningful test btw. The glibc headers take longer to compile
> because of all the extensive standards features and optimisations.
>
> A valid compile test would be to build say the BSD ones with a BSD
> target compiler on BSD and Linux.
>
> Alan

Pardon my insolence, but perhaps someone could enlighten me as to what
this has to do with compiling? From what I could read in the original
message, and from what 'Search' told me, 'compile' was not mentioned
once in the message.

Whether or not the speed test was meaningful, I don't know, not having
used HINT. But tests like this certainly remind us of, if not shed new
light on, possible problems that could be addressed. Especially if the
benchmarks were run with a credible benchmarks package.

But I digress. How did we come up with compile out of his message?

--
Matthew Vanecek
Course of Study: http://www.unt.edu/bcis