SubjectRe: multiply files in one (was GNU/Linux stance by Richard Stallman)

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> In message <37002199.BFE86CB4@ata-sd.com>, Steven Roberts writes:
> +-----
> | Of course, I'm thinking a userfs solution would work here.
> +--->8
>
> Why? Methinks a library would suffice, especially for trivial archive
> formats (ar comes to mind). There's no need for special kernel involvement,
> except perhaps to make it transparent --- and a stdio extension to allow
> transparent redirection of I/O for specially-configured (FILE)s would solve
> that one just as well.

Because application XYZZY sees performance problems, and it implements
the userspace ar trick to speed things up. Then application PLUGH sees
the same problems, and it also implements the same trick, but odds are
even it's done differently. Pretty soon we have dozens of applications
all doing something similar but incompatible to get around performance
problems with hundreds of small files.

Or you could just fix the filesystem...

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.506 / U:0.084 seconds]