SubjectRe: 48 day uptime problem?
> Conveniently, my alpha hit 48 days uptime a day after you guys found this.
> Unfortunately, it seems the problem is more complicated than just the TCP
> code. I suspect that in many places in the kernel, time (in ms) is taken as
> a 32-bit integer. I experienced the following symptoms (kernel 2.2.2-ac7)
> when I hit 48 days:
>
> 1) No network connections succeeded.
> 2) processes that I "visited" (i.e. went to xterm, typed something...)
> spammed the CPU. Load hit 10 very quickly, and it took about 10 minutes for
> 'shutdown -r now' to succeed.

I didn't find any of these problems on our machine. The *only*
problem is that the machine can't make network connections to
another Linux 2.2.1 Alpha or to any Irix box. If we didn't have
these other boxen around we'd never have noticed anything.
Telnet, NFS, NIS, etc are working fine from all other machines.
X is running all the time, mostly with KDE and lots of terminals.
2 cpu-intensive jobs are running.

Maybe later kernels introduced additional problems?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:1.760 / U:0.012 seconds]