SubjectRe: initrd/ramdisk problems, differences 2.2.1 vs. 2.2.5

Hi Riley,

to answer your second message,
ramdisk support is built into the kernel, Otherwise it could not mount the
ramdisk anyway. The kernel is not changed in the boot process.

> Based on that, you would wish to apply the above patch first, then
> check that you have enabled ramdisks in the kernel before rebuilding
> it. You would probably also wish to take advantage of the fact that
> the ramdisk driver can load compressed ramdisk images.

I'm loading a compressed ramdisk image from bootable cd (initrd.gz), then
in linuxrc the OTHER ramdisks are initialized and loaded. I give you the
/etc/fstab of the kernel between linuxrc and /sbin/init :

/dev/ram0 / ext2 defaults 0 1
/dev/ram6 /mnt ext2 defaults 0 2
/dev/ram2 /mnt/lib ext2 defaults 0 3
/dev/ram3 /mnt/usr ext2 defaults 0 3
/dev/ram4 /mnt/usr/bin ext2 defaults 0 4
$cdrom /cdrom iso9660 ro,noauto,user 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0

$cdrom is substituted by the real cdrom name on this system.
The /mnt tree is unmounted, /dev/ram0 ist initrd.

When linux rc exits, on /mnt/etc/fstab there is fstab like this,
but mounting /dev/ram2 to /dev/ram4 is never reached because /sbin/init is
not found :

/dev/ram6 / ext2 defaults 0 1
/dev/ram2 /lib ext2 defaults 0 2
/dev/ram3 /usr ext2 defaults 0 2
/dev/ram4 /usr/bin ext2 defaults 0 3
$cdrom /cdrom iso9660 ro,noauto,user 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0

Mounting of /dev/ram6 is ok, an ext2 filesystem is found. But afterwards
no files are exeted, but /dev/console is found on this filesystem.
I assume that this has something to do with a noexec.

Regards

Frank

Dipl.-Inform. Frank Bernard phone : +49 69 477169
Ellerstr. 11 fax : +49 69 47885616
60389 Frankfurt handy : +49 179 6900088
Germany email : frankb@ipf.de
www : http://www.linux-firewall.de

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.065 / U:0.148 seconds]