SubjectRe: Problem in sys_vm86 or QuakeII on 2.2.6?
O.K., I'll try the mrproper and, failing that, rebuilding SVGAlib.  First, I'd
like to try an earlier kernel. I might also try rebuilding MESA and the other
libraries that it uses with -march=pentiumpro...

phazer wrote:

> Hi
>
> I had the same problem a while ago but i don't remeber the details.
> Try doing a 'make mrproper' and then rebuild your Kernel. i think that
> fixed my problem. Also if you compiled your own SVGA lib, rebuild that and
> see if you still get the errors.
>
> -phazer
>
> On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Menion wrote:
>
> >Have you gotten it working at all? Because this is also the standard
> >symptom of a video misconfiguration. In fact, I have never seen quake2
> >bomb on this when it was _not_ svgalib. Have you tried running the X
> >version?
> >
> >Frederick W Reimer wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Word of warning - I'm not a kernel hacker, so forgive me if I give
> >> incomplete information.
> >>
> >> Seems that QuakeII bombs on syscall 166 (sys_vm86) on my 2.2.6 based SMP
> >> system (2 PII-350's).
> >>
> >> Here's the last strace line:
> >> SYS_166(0x402f20f8, 0, 0x402f2288, 0x1150, 0x1000 <unfinished ...>
> >> +++ killed by SIGSEGV +++
> >>
> >> with the kernel output of:
> >> no vm86_info: BAD
> >>
> >> Looking at the definition for this syscall -
> >> asmlinkage int sys_vm86(unsigned long subfunction, struct
> >> vm86plus_struct * v86);
> >>
> >> it looks like quake2 is passing garbage to the function? Shouldn't it
> >> have only two arguments (the subfunction and a pointer to a
> >> vm86plus_struct structure)?
> >>
> >> It's actually bombing in save_v86_state, which gets called only from
> >> return_to_32_bit, which is called from a few places. But, it only
> >> prints this info if vm86_info is blank. Tracing the sys_vm86 call, it
> >> looks like vm86_info is set during a VM86_ENTER or VM86_ENTER_NO_BYPASS
> >> before save_v86_state could possibly get called.
> >>
> >> Was sys_vm86old once syscall 166 and sys_vm86 replaced it (Doesn't look
> >> like it from the numbering of the two syscalls)? Can't think of any
> >> other possibility other than quake2 is just passing the kernel garbage.
> >> Is there any way I can trace it to give more info (like checking the
> >> address that is passed as a pointer or something)? I'll try it on an
> >> earlier kernel if needed.
> >>
> >> BTW, it works under software rendering (+set vid_ref softx). It only
> >> bombs when I'm trying to use my Voodoo2 board. I have the 2.0 version
> >> of the 3dfx.o module compiled under 2.2.6 installed.
> >>
> >> Also, it doesn't work with the ad1816 sound driver as a module (havn't
> >> tried compiled in yet). It core dumps during a memset when initializing
> >> the sound. Don't know if this is ad1816 specific, or just a generic
> >> problem with quake2...
> >>
> >> Sorry for the long fractured post. It's late.
> >>
> >> Fred Reimer

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.058 / U:0.184 seconds]