    SubjectRe: file effective and process inheritable mask
    On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
    > The two most important extensions IMHO are:
    > 1. The ability to mark an executable with the minimum capabilities
    > needed to properly execute. This helps avoid crashes.
    I am still working on that a little bit.
    > 2. The ability to mark an executable with the capabilities that were
    > known to the setup tool. The kernel can use default values for any
    > bits that are not listed. This lets kernel developers add new bits
    > for traditionally unprivileged operations and lets them split old
    > bits into more fine-grained sets of bits.
    being defined for future caps which are new caps that presently availible
    to everyone even non-root ones.
    > After those two, I think it would be nice to allow configurations that
    > are halfway between traditional behavior and the draft. One could let
    > the more harmless capabilities (resources, read access...) be passed
    > to child processes automatically, while enforcing the draft behavior
    > for more destructive capabilities.
    Thats easily done and won't even break the draft just define the default
    fI to be pP&(CAP_LINUX_RESERVE_NORMAL_0 | ...
    |CAP_LINUX_RESERVE_NORMAL_15) for unmarked executable files.
    you might just save yourself some trouble and say fI=pP ;->

    BTW thought you might want to know that my patch now supports what you
    want done with "pure" caps via securebits mechanisms. I defined a new
    SECURE_PURE_CAP thingy which hopefully you might like. I'll send out a
    quick snapshot.

    Warning when I mention capabilites I mean "soiled" capabilities not "pure".
    Any caps I mention are *derived* from a withdrawn draft posix document.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.021 / U:178.028 seconds]