    SubjectRe: Poor smbfs performance - 2.2.6
    "David B. Rees" wrote:
    > The read/write performance to the mounted filesystems is _very_ slow.
    >
    > Write performance is about 40KB/s (thats KBytes), and read performance is about
    > 1-200KB/s.
    >
    > When not communicating over a mounted smbfs, such as NFS, SMB, FTP, etc, I get
    > normal transfer speeds. These machines are on a quiet LAN.
    >
    > Another oddity: smbclient performs at normal speeds to the other Linux/Samba
    > box, but smbclient to the Win95 box results is horrid write performance
    > (~10-15KB/s) but much better read performance (600KB/s). Yet both mounted fs's
    > perform close to the same!
    >
    > Samba is version 2.0.3 on both Linux machines, as well as smbmount.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > -Dave

    Well, if you are mounting shares which live on the Win95 machine, you
    might want to consider enabling the Win95 Bug Workaround in the kernel.
    If, however, you are *not* mounting shares exported by Win95
    (specifically Win95), i.e., shares on an NT server or on another OS or
    Linux, then make sure you *don't* have the Bug Workaround enabled. I
    don't have Win95 anymore (Thank you God!), but still run NT, so can't
    really tell you how well the Workaround works.

    BTW, what do you use to test the performance?

    --
    Matthew Vanecek
    Course of Study: http://www.unt.edu/bcis