SubjectRe: README no longer mentions symlinks for includes
On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Philip Blundell wrote:

> >#include <soundcard.h>
> >
> > no such file: /usr/include/soundcard.h ...
>
> If you want soundcard support for user programs (and it's something
> that would be generally useful) consider sending a patch to the libc
> developers.

Bad idea, there are a load of user-space libraries for this purpose -
for example ESD, OSS, ALSA and so forth.

There's no real need to include sound with the libc library, that's not
its function; its function is to provide us with a safe interface to the
kernel's syscalls that's POSIX compliant.

Perhaps the POSIX boys might like to define standards for a multimedia
library for UNIX use though - that at least, WOULD guarantee that code and
multimedia stuff will be able to work on different platforms (i.e *BSD,
Linux, Solaris & BeOS).

Something like libmedia.[so|a] and corresponding includes.

(Yes I know - if I am deaf, why am I talking about this? 8)

Cheers,
Alex
--
"A mind opened by new ideas cannot return to its original limits"

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk