    SubjectRe: disk geometry change
    The large disk howto says about aix7xxx:

    H=64, S=32 unless C < 1024, and moreover
    either the "extended" boot parameter was given,
    or the `extended' bit was set in the SEEPROM or BIOS,
    in which case H=255, S=63.

    This was true for 2.0.* and is still somewhat true for 2.2.6
    but the precise conditions have changed (and became messier).
    Two important changes are:

    For 2.0.36 giving boot parameters "aic7xxx=extended" would always
    give you an extended translation. For 2.2.6 this will only work
    if the driver finds no SEEPROM, but will be ignored otherwise.

    For 2.0.36, if the driver did not find a SEEPROM it would
    always give you an extended translation.
    For 2.2.6, if the driver did not find a SEEPROM it will
    only give you an extended translation if you asked for it.

    I do not know whether this change was intentional - it seems
    to me that a driver should do what the user asks in an explicit
    boot parameter. (Let me cc the maintainer.)

    Anyway, in your case the boot parameter "aic7xxx=extended"
    will probably work and give you an extended geometry again.

    Andries -

    P.S. Concerning LILO and unpleasant surprises:
    It is a good habit to always have several kernels in the LILO setup
    among which one known-to-be-good. That very much reduces the need
    for emergency boot floppies.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.019 / U:13.552 seconds]