    SubjectQs: Kernel memory allocation; fbcon greyscale implementation
    Hi folks,

    I'm sorry if these are too trivial - but...

    I have put Linux 2.2.5 into a nonstandard ix86 hardware (AMD Elan) -
    that is there is no BIOS, no VGA but an LCD display...
    Its working now but 3 questions arose:

    1) Display hardware needs a memory block for it's frame buffer from the
    main ram aligned to a 64K boundary. How do I best allocate this. Now I
    reduced the memory size reported to the kernel and ioremap'ped the top
    memory block into the virtual memory. But as this is not in control of
    the driver I think its not the correct way.

    2) The kernel message says that 412k of the memory is reserved. I'm
    afraid that the 640k-1M area is reserved and lost. If thats true, how
    can I get them back.

    3) The display is 16 level gray scale, 4 bpp, 2 pixels in a byte. In
    what visual type does it map nicely. It seems to me that the fbcon
    treats it as a pseudocolor device. At least the appearing logo is
    indexed color picture - I think. I don't have very clear idea how this
    affects for example the applications. I think I saw a note somewhere
    about this kind of display but from the sources I don't get the idea how
    it shoulf be implemented.

    Thanks in advance!

    BTW, this is my first posting here so excuse me for any failures to
    follow the netiquette. And, of course, I don't mind being pointed to
    FAQs, docs or correct lists.

    Epec Oy
    Timo Ketola
    Box 194
    FIN-60101 Seinäjoki

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.034 / U:6.888 seconds]