    SubjectRe: Problem in sys_vm86 or QuakeII on 2.2.6?

    I had the same problem a while ago but i don't remeber the details.
    Try doing a 'make mrproper' and then rebuild your Kernel. i think that
    fixed my problem. Also if you compiled your own SVGA lib, rebuild that and
    see if you still get the errors.

    On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Menion wrote:

    >Have you gotten it working at all? Because this is also the standard
    >symptom of a video misconfiguration. In fact, I have never seen quake2
    >bomb on this when it was _not_ svgalib. Have you tried running the X
    >Frederick W Reimer wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >> Word of warning - I'm not a kernel hacker, so forgive me if I give
    >> incomplete information.
    >> Seems that QuakeII bombs on syscall 166 (sys_vm86) on my 2.2.6 based SMP
    >> system (2 PII-350's).
    >> Here's the last strace line:
    >> SYS_166(0x402f20f8, 0, 0x402f2288, 0x1150, 0x1000 <unfinished ...>
    >> +++ killed by SIGSEGV +++
    >> with the kernel output of:
    >> no vm86_info: BAD
    >> Looking at the definition for this syscall -
    >> asmlinkage int sys_vm86(unsigned long subfunction, struct
    >> vm86plus_struct * v86);
    >> it looks like quake2 is passing garbage to the function? Shouldn't it
    >> have only two arguments (the subfunction and a pointer to a
    >> vm86plus_struct structure)?
    >> It's actually bombing in save_v86_state, which gets called only from
    >> return_to_32_bit, which is called from a few places. But, it only
    >> prints this info if vm86_info is blank. Tracing the sys_vm86 call, it
    >> looks like vm86_info is set during a VM86_ENTER or VM86_ENTER_NO_BYPASS
    >> before save_v86_state could possibly get called.
    >> Was sys_vm86old once syscall 166 and sys_vm86 replaced it (Doesn't look
    >> like it from the numbering of the two syscalls)? Can't think of any
    >> other possibility other than quake2 is just passing the kernel garbage.
    >> Is there any way I can trace it to give more info (like checking the
    >> address that is passed as a pointer or something)? I'll try it on an
    >> earlier kernel if needed.
    >> BTW, it works under software rendering (+set vid_ref softx). It only
    >> bombs when I'm trying to use my Voodoo2 board. I have the 2.0 version
    >> of the 3dfx.o module compiled under 2.2.6 installed.
    >> Also, it doesn't work with the ad1816 sound driver as a module (havn't
    >> tried compiled in yet). It core dumps during a memset when initializing
    >> the sound. Don't know if this is ad1816 specific, or just a generic
    >> problem with quake2...
    >> Sorry for the long fractured post. It's late.
    >> Fred Reimer

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.027 / U:6.092 seconds]