    SubjectRe: Linux Tuning.
    Date
    > 1. Add a kernel config section called "Kernel Tuning" nicely grouped into
    > categories (with a huge "Misc" one) and very detailed "Help" section
    > explaining each parameter, contraints, dependencies on other parameters
    > etc. (dependencies shouldn't be automatic because it will probably never
    > work and only confuse normal humans).

    It would be good to characterize parameters as:

    1) Things that can be dynamically adjusted at runtime
    2) Things that are compiled into the kernel

    Naturally, as many things should be moved into (1) as possible, and
    the items remaining in (2) ought to be easy to configure. For example,
    process rlimit defaults should be in (1). Today rlimit defaults are
    in (2), and are hard to find. Max open files per process and max
    processes today require not only a kernel rebuild but rebuilding
    user-level software.

    > PS. I had this idea when I noticed that precious 256 bytes are wasted for
    > modprobe path and wanted to make it tunable...

    This is an excellent example of something that's not worth tuning.

    -- g

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.021 / U:0.260 seconds]