SubjectLinux Tuning
Date
Dear Sirs, Madams,

Thank you very much for your very enthusiastic messages. I

would like to apologize for this late of mine for I have

been away for the past several days.

Here is a summary of the replies I have received:

George Bonser <grep@shorelink.com>, Timothy Writer

<Tim.Writer@ftlsol.com>, Brent Verner <brent@linux1.org>,

Aaron T Porter <atporter@entropy.muc.muohio.edu> and Rik van

Riel <riel@nl.linux.org> all have offered to help.

In fact, they have already started a discussion regarding

ways to gather Tuning Tips for Linux, including

* Making preliminary identification on fields
that may need tuning the most (database,
webserver),

* Suggesting the set up of a reference system,
finding potential hosts to host the project,
(including comparing various potential
host's bandwidth),

* Brainstorming on name(s) for the project,

* Reviving the linux-perf mailing list,

* Inviting heavyweights like Alan Cox,
Mark Lord and many others to
contribute the various ways
to fine-tune Linux,

* PR campaign like making an announcement on
slashdot.org, etc.

Mat Kovach <mkovach@cleveland.lug.net> has generously

offered to start a mailing list on their newly acquired

linuxgroups.org domain to discuss ways to optimize Linux and

various related applications.

Peter Waltenberg <peterw@dascom.com> has wrote in to

suggest that a deamon "tuningd" be created to dynamically

tweaks the system, while Horst von Brand

<vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl> thinks one or more HOWTO(s) may do

the trick.

J.C. (John Clifford) Armbruster <jcarmbruster@earthlink.net>

and Chuck Lever <cel@monkey.org> have also enthusiastically

offering their help.

[Note: If I inevitably have left out your name,
please accept my apology.

My linux-kernel feed has been cut-off by the
majordomo again (apparently because of
bounced mails), so I have no way to gauge
exactly how many have responded.

I include the email addresses of the persons
who responded in hoping to foster a further
discussion to work out the kinks and if
possible, obtain a concensus of what should
be done next.

I am also making this reply available to the
linux-kernel list for people who are interested
to get contact with each others.]

This discussion of Fine-tuning Linux was brought about by, -

and ironically thanks to, - Mindcraft's questionable

"benchmark comparison" of NT vs Linux.

For years we Linux users already know the fact, that Linux

is not only more solid and robust than NT, Linux is _FASTER_

as well.

Not only faster, but many, many *TIMES* faster !!!

One thing that the Mindcraft's "report" has shown us,

however, is that a TUNE-DOWN Linux machine can be *slower*

than NT.

If Linux can be TUNE-DOWN to a crawl, as Mindcraft's case

has shown, Linux can be TUNE-UP too !! The question is thus

How many of those tune-up tips and tricks are
available to the average Joe Blow Linux-user?

Truth is, there are tons of tips and tricks to fine-tune

Linux. But unfortunately, they are scattered everywhere.

For the average Joe Blow Linux-user, finding the correct

find-tuning tips involve the task of searching high and low

in the thousands of Linux-related websites, posting and

re-posting their questions to various mailing lists,

newsgroups, and to their friends. And since there are more

and more applications being ported to Linux, and there are

more and more peripherals that Linux recognizes, the chance

for finding _really_ useful tips for the myriad combo of

apps/peripherals/distros may be so minute that many Joe Blow

Linux-users are running their Linux machines

under-optimized.

IMHO, the biggest problem most Linux-users are facing, in

term of getting the correct tune-up tips, is a logistical

one --- on where and how to find those tips and tricks, and

the people who offered them in the first place.

Only if there is an effort to gather all of the tips and

gurus to one place, categorize all the information, and put

it in an organized fashion for the world to use, and thanks

to the people I mentioned above, something _is_ happening.

There are several different approaches being suggested

(Howtos, deamons, OS-app tips, mailing-list and websites as

clearinghouse for the info) and I think all of the

approaches are valid in their own right, and they should be

further exploited.

As I have said in my previous post, I am not an

"expert"although I've been using Linux since the 0.9x.y

time. I have my share of tip-search and code-tweaking, and

still there is something that constantly bugs me --- that my

Linux machines are not tapping their full potentials. Call

me a performance freak if you like, but one thing that make

me stick with Linux all the while was that Windoze

(including NT) is way too buggy, too bloated, and too

s-l-o-w.

I will do whatever I can to help out the effort in making

the Fine-Tuning tips for Linux available to the world, I

will even share my very limited knowledge if it helps, but I

know there are others who are much, MUCH better than me out

there.

Since Mr. Porter may've found a host with T3 connection, and

Messrs. Verner, Bonser, van Riel, Waltenberg, Lever, Writer,

Armbruster, Kovach, von Brand and many others have offered

enthusiastic ideas, helps and supports, I think my place in

this endeavor - other than occassionally offer my limited

understanding of Linux, - may be running a mirror site to

the project dedicated to Fine-Tuning Linux. I hope in times

the project will proof to be a boost to Linux Operating

System, and help the Joe Blow Linux-users of the world in

making their Linux machines fly as high as they should be.

Before I end this boring message of mine, I do have to

mention the following:

The Linux community is *truly* amazing.

The absolutely positive responses I've received
from so many enthusiastic people of the Linux
community is a proof that we not only share a
common vision, we work _HARD_ to make it
into a reality.

Again I wish to convey my most sincere heartfelt thanks to

all of you.

Most respectfully,
Pete
teamwork@freemail.c3.hu

PS. While I am using terms like "optimizing" and
"fine-tuning", I have to thank the many,
many dedicated people on the L-K list for
their excellent success in fine-tuning the
Linux Kernel, and to people from other
OpenSource groups who have devoted
countless precious hours in debugging
and optimizing their respective OpenSource
codes.

PPS. A special mention (since Rik is involved in it)
is the Stampede Linux. AFAIK, Stampede is an
optimized-kernel distro for the X86 platform
which reportedly is 5 - 30% faster
(depend on who you talk to) than the
garden-variety Linux. I believe Rik can fill you
the rest of the Stampede stuff.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.066 / U:0.032 seconds]