SubjectRe: 2.2.5 optimizations for web benchmarks?
Hi,

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999 19:28:35 -0700 (PDT), Dean Gaudet
<dgaudet-list-linux-kernel@arctic.org> said:

> On Sat, 17 Apr 1999, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
>> OK. Most of the important points have been covered already. Especially
>> the tuning of the apache server itself is one of the most significant
>> issues.

> Uh I dunno. Unless by tuning you mean "replace apache with something
> that's actually fast" ;)

> Really, with the current multiprocess apache I've never really been able
> to see more than a handful of percentage improvement from all the
> tweaks.

Fair enough, although I know other people have definitely reported
bigger differences. Is there a decent tuning writeup online that we can
direct people to in the future? I'm helping Rik van Riel and a number
of folk on the linux performance lists to assemble some basic tuning
info and Apache is obviously one of the important components to cover.

> I did a
> pthread port last year,

_Now_ we're talking interesting. :)

> IBM started up a small team to redo the threaded port, using
> everything I'd learned (without looking at my code... 'cause it was
> NPL tainted), and port to pthreads. Their goal: beat their own
> webserver (Go). This port is called apache-apr, and as of today
> someone posted saying they'd served 2.6 million hits from apache-apr
> over a 4 day period.

So is this being actively developed?

Cheers,
Stephen.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.084 / U:0.096 seconds]