SubjectRE: Wierd IDE configuration
Date
There is a mail in Linux Gazette #39 from a user with a similar problem -
his hdc drive, formerly hda and partitioned with <inferior OS>, is no longer
handled correctly by fdisk now that it's hdc. This strikes me as (dare I
say it) not far removed from a bug.

As a start to clearing this up, I propose the attached code fragment.
Sorry, please be patient, I'm a total kernel newbie, I just got into all
this to try and fix a problem on my machine. No doubt there is some
protocol for submitting code, which I am failing to respect. Please tell me
gently what I need to do !

The attached fragment goes into setup.S (in 2.0.36 or 2.2.1, anyway) between
"call video" and the MCA detection code, replacing the existing code at the
place where the initial comment is currently "Get hd0 data". I would submit
diff output, but it would end up being specific to one version of setup.S, I
think.

The fragment is a functional replacement for the current code, but using INT
13h calls, so it (a) works around a bug in at least one BIOS (mine !)
whereby the INT 41h vector isn't pointing to the right disk's info, and (b)
can be readily expanded to handle any number of drives, provided only that
some space in INITSEG can be negotiated. This takes up Mark Lord's
challenge in the comment on the function probe_cmos_for_drives() in
ide-probe.c.

|\ | o _ |/ Life's like a jigsaw
| \| | |_ |\ You get the straight bits
But there's something missing in the middle

Nick Brown, Strasbourg, France (Nick(dot)Brown(at)coe(dot)fr)

<<setup.S.frag>>

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.017 / U:2.148 seconds]