    SubjectRe: capabilities in elf headers, (my) final (and shortest) iteration
    Hi!

    > [...]
    >
    > > {Shrug} Perhaps somebody can suggest some way that capabilities can
    > > have meaning for a script, any script if it comes to that?
    >
    > A script in Unix is just another random way to write a program that does
    > what I want. Nothing special there. Note that today's scripts are (almost)
    > undistinguishable from binary, compiled programs: They may carry the same
    > permissions (execute permissions for whom, even S[UG]ID bits (not on all
    > Unices, but several honor them)). If some scheme can't do the same (at least
    > in principle) for capabilities, it is fundamentally flawed. No "all
    > capable" interpreter should be needed, as this is a _huge_ security risk,
    > the kernel might as well endow this particular process with the requested
    > capabilities, and nothing else.

    Why is all capable interpretter huge security risk? Look at
    suidperl. It drops priviledges _then_ it looks at code, so overflow in
    its parsing routines is not going to help you.

    Pavel
    PS: Any all capable file is huge security risk. I do not see why
    interpretters are any worse :-).
    --
    I'm really pavel@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz. Pavel
    Look at http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/ ;-).