SubjectRe: Flash BIOS under linux
On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, David Woodhouse wrote:

> djones2@glam.ac.uk said:
> > To the best of my knowledge this doesn't exist.
>
> It does. See http://www.freiburg.linux.de/~stepan/bios/
>
> > And as some BIOS manufacturers are very prohibitive about their
> > technology, it's unlikely that a generic tool will ever happen. You /
> > may/ convince some vendors to port to Linux, but I can't see that
> > happening.
>
> It's not too difficult to work it out. You know where the BIOS is mapped in
> memory because it's always at the same place (0xe0000 or 0xf0000?), you know
> what kind of flash chip they use because it's written on the top of the chip,
> and you know how to erase and write the flash because the manufacturer of the
> _flash_ publishes docs.

0xe0000 and 0xf0000 are usually shadow RAM, with the actual BIOS ROM up at
4GB. The ROM window is chipset controlled, and sometimes paged. Some
motherboards have *serious* hardware protection against re-Flashing the
BIOS.

P.

---
| Peter Horton - software engineer - Linux 2.2.5 |
| pdh@berserk.demon.co.uk | http://www.berserk.demon.co.uk |
| pdh@colonel-panic.com | http://www.colonel-panic.com |