SubjectBug in ypbind or 2.2.x-kernel?
From
Hi there,

I've just set up a diskless Linux system, where I boot a 486 off the network
(bootp, tftp, nfs). It worked like a charm - everything ran smooth and fine,
until I wanted to set the box up as a NIS client. That's when I ran into
trouble.
I set up the NIS domain (ypdomainset), ran portmap, then ypbind, and here
trouble showed up.
Every time I started ypbind (with debug uption ) it said "ypbind already
running (pid xxxx) - exiting.
Trouble was, this pid was the same pid that this instance of ypbind ran under!
I tried many things; strace'ing ypbind to see what it did, creating a lockfile
upfront, wiping the entire /var/run, upgrading ypbind from the old one I had
(which accompanied Red Hat 5.0, upgrading it to the 5.2 version, 3.3-glibc3) -
no luck.
Finally, I reckoned it may be something with having the lockfile written
through NFS , and I made an ext2fs on my floppy drive and mounted it on
/var/run - instant success! I tried the same with a ramdrive (/dev/ram0), and
ypbind also worked like a charm on this.
I've been running the 2.2.3 and 2.2.5 kernels, and the problem showed up on
both. Now, I'd like to know; can anyone tell whether this is a 2.2.x "feature"
or a bug in ypbind? I'll have to admit that I haven't tried with the 2.0.x
kernel series, but trying two 2.2.x kernel versions would/may be sufficient..
or?

By the way, is there a patch for the 2.2.x kernel to give me the ability to
swap via NFS? (yeah, I know, it's slow, but upgrading the 486 with more memory
is, well, not much of an option)

Best regards,