SubjectRe: Linux TCP Fixing everyones problems?
Date
In article <14101.62139.336358.656210@dukat.scot.redhat.com>,
Stephen C. Tweedie <sct@redhat.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On Wed, 14 Apr 1999 19:47:18 -0700 (PDT), David Ford
><david+nospam@killerlabs.com> said:
>
>> --Network compatibility fixes section--------
>> < > Disable Broken TCP fix for Xyz OS
>> < > Disable Broken TCP fix for Abc OS
>> < > Disable Broken IP fix for Blah
>
>Given the amount of trouble we have coping with problematic tcp
>interactions right now, I can't begin to imagine how much worse things
>would be if we had a dozen different configurable tcp behaviours in
>the stack. From a kernel maintenance point of view, this is just
>several disasters heaped on top of each other waiting to happen.

I agree that individually selecting _every_ broken TCP/IP stack workaround
can only lead to madness. Even breaking it down by vendor would still
lead to some kind of mental injury.

It would seem that if neither 0 nor all possible configurations are
acceptable, what about two possible configurations: compatible with
all known broken TCP/IP stacks, and not.

Think about the special case of a Linux-only network. A node in a
Beowulf cluster could be reasonably expected to never talk to anything
that wasn't running exactly the same Linux kernel revision, and they
might care about extra packet routing latencies or protocol overhead,
even if that overhead was local to the computing node.

Of course if the TCP/IP stack workarounds don't produce measurable
performance changes then the whole idea does not merit discussion, and
such discussion should be dropped until such performance problems appear.

--
Zygo Blaxell, Linux Engineer, Corel Corporation, zygob@corel.ca (work),
zblaxell@furryterror.org (play). It's my opinion, I tell you! Mine! All MINE!