SubjectRe: Failing drive? S.M.A.R.T. utilities?

There is a widget that Gadi wrote and I have a copy of and will hunt for
it. I was working on new smart code additions but have been side tracked.

On Sat, 17 Apr 1999, Bob McElrath wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Apr 1999, Aaron Tiensivu wrote:
>
> > > Much of the SMART values are custom for each drive. I have asked members
> > > of the IDE committee (specifically, the individuals involved in writing
> > > the SMART specification) for explanation of SMART values and have received
> > > deafening silence in reply.
> > > You can try writing them too but dont expect a response. They are
> > > mark.evans@quantum.com and pete_mclean@maxtor.com
> >
> > IBM might be able to help out, considering they initially wrote it (if I
> > remember right).
>
> I too have tried to contact IBM on this issue, and have received deafening
> silence. I get errors that appear in syslog that I'm fairly certain come
> from SMART, but I've no idea how to decode them.
>
> I'd be very interested in anything you come up with.
>
> -- Bob
>
> "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
> temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
> -- Benjamin Franklin
>
> Bob McElrath (rsmcelrath@students.wisc.edu) Univ. of Wisconsin at Madison
>

> -

Andre Hedrick
The Linux IDE guy
http://www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu/server/udma/2.2.5.uniform-ide-6.19.patch.gz

APC UPS Daemon Support Center.
http://www.brisse.dk/site/apcupsd/
GPLed source on April 7, 1999

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.051 / U:0.184 seconds]