SubjectRE: Cdrom doesn't always detect at correct speed
>> Occasionally (about 1 out of every 4 reboots), my CD-ROM drive will be
>> detected as a 4X drive (and run as one), instead of a 40X ATAPI drive, as
it
>> should be. This problem was actually happening with less frequency under
>> 2.0.0 than it currently has under 2.2.5. The freaky thing is, it is
totally
>> unpredictable as to when it will be detected incorrectly.
>
>It sounds like your drive is behaving strangely. The speed gets
>reported as part of the capabilites page of the drive. What about the
>buffer, for example, does that change sporadically too? ide-cd just
>believes what the drive returns, so there is nothing that can be done
>about it. It doesn't have any impact on performance, so the "error"
>is just cosmethic.

Actually, no - the buffer doesn't change. Also, it's slowed (or stopped)
frequency recently. I hardly ever see it any more. Still strange, though.

Hmmm (snaps fingers) actually - I used to try to overclock my 333 to 400, but
it's one of the Celerons that doesn't overclock easily, but I left the
settings on the motherboard for a 400 mHz CPU. I just recently changed the
settings back, since I couldn't figure out a way to trick the chip. About
then is the last time I saw the error. Could that have something to do with
it, or is it probably just a coincidence?

Thanks for the reply (and sorry for the lateness of mine - I've been away from
e-mail for almost a week).

/\
\ || /
Embrace \/ \/