SubjectRe: Cdrom doesn't always detect at correct speed
On Wed, Apr 07 1999, Bob Cthulhu wrote:
> I did get kernel 2.2.5 installed (correctly, this time), and everything
> updated.
> Unfortunately, this didn't fix an ittermittent problem I've been noticing
> since I first installed Linux.
>
> Occasionally (about 1 out of every 4 reboots), my CD-ROM drive will be
> detected as a 4X drive (and run as one), instead of a 40X ATAPI drive, as it
> should be. This problem was actually happening with less frequency under
> 2.0.0 than it currently has under 2.2.5. The freaky thing is, it is totally
> unpredictable as to when it will be detected incorrectly.

It sounds like your drive is behaving strangely. The speed gets
reported as part of the capabilites page of the drive. What about the
buffer, for example, does that change sporadically too? ide-cd just
believes what the drive returns, so there is nothing that can be done
about it. It doesn't have any impact on performance, so the "error"
is just cosmethic.

> It's not really a serious problem, more of an annoyance, but I fear it as a
> possible prelude or sign of worse.

I don't know, the drive might be on its way to better places.

--
* Jens Axboe <axboe@image.dk>
* Linux CD-ROM Maintainer