    SubjectRe: 2.2.5 optimizations for web benchmarks?
    Date
    > for a web benchmark. I understand many of the tunables
    > in /proc/sys, but I'm not sure if I'm missing something
    > crucial.

    You actually probably don't need to tune them

    > Assuming fast hardware, with lots of RAM (ranging from
    > 512MB - 2GB), and with/without RAID (software), and a
    > fast network (yellowfin or eepro100), and ext2fs.

    For 2Gig of RAM you want to recompile as per the directions in the
    kernel tree (include/asm-i386/page.h) to use an offset of 0x80000000.

    > What should I change at 2.2.5 compile time? I'm
    > especially curious if increasing the initial tcp cwnd
    > to min (4380, 4*MSS) as suggested by IETF/tcpimpl would

    It will do for an http/1.0 test, it doesn't for real world. You can tell
    if its a factor because you will see much less than 100% CPU usage and
    that adding clients increases performance.

    > connections of the benchmark (I presume I'd have to
    > change both snd_cwnd and snd_cwnd_cnt)

    Yes

    > Will I get any benefit from changing the tunables in eepro100.c and
    > yellowfin.c ?

    There is nothing there you need to touch

    > inode-max
    > bdflush
    > buffermem
    > freepages
    > kswapd
    > pagecache
    > Any other I'm missing ?

    You shouldnt need to touch those either.

    > I'm using many of the common apache 1.4.3
    > optimizations. Is there anything I can do to improve
    > SMP performance, to help the built in affinity-scheme
    > of linux?

    Apache does fine with the default CPU affinity. You probably need to tune
    the apache configuration more than anything else. You want the logging and
    swap on a different disk to the pages and to the system preferably. For the
    raid you want striping (obviously) and the raid howto/tools tell you how
    to find the optimal stripe size.

    If you want to answer the question "how fast is linux as a web server"
    consider benchmarking using Zeus (www.zeus.co.uk) too.

    Alan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:2.708 / U:0.076 seconds]