    SubjectRe: Linux ping flood on localhost
    On Fri, 16 Apr 1999 wrote:

    > Hello!
    > > I think the latest ping will produce 90% packet loss on a flood to
    > > localhost. This was some kind of 'feature' (a side-effect) introduced
    > > around 2.2.x (Alan responded to this). As I understand it, ICMP replies
    > > are delayed by a HZ, so the maximum response-rate is 100/second. Ping
    > > flood tries 1000/second so you lose the flood-game.
    > Ping rate is unlimited for any kernel version.
    > At least, I see 15kpps with zero packet loss and rtt below 100usecs.
    > Taking into account that "ping -f" does not buffer output,
    > it is close to perfect. It is the first.
    Well it certainly does not work that way on my system and I use
    the so-called latest ping from net-tools-1.50.tar.gz. Over six
    months ago, I called this `ping -f` problem to Alan and it is
    his response I quoted (although not directly).

    > And the second: Dick, you were said already dozen of times:
    > 1. your ping is buggy. Upgrade.
    > 2. nothing occured in 2.1, it was behaviour of Linux since 1.0 or so.
    > Please, stop to confuse people.
    So where do I get a ping later than what is shown in /linux/Documentation

    Dick Johnson
    Penguin : Linux version 2.2.5 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.019 / U:49.540 seconds]