SubjectRe: Solaris tmpfs vs. Linux RAMdisk
On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, Robert Kiesling wrote:

> > Notice how Linux writting to an ext2 file system is significantly faster
> > than any other OS/FS combination. The next closest is Solaris writting
> > to tmpfs, and its still far behind ext2. Its also good to notice how
> > slow both Solaris and Digital Unix are on their local file systems. This
> > is probably why both have a ram base file system.

I think this is because when you time ext2 you are actually timing the
speed at which Linux writes to the disk BUFFER, not to the disk. The other
operating systems do not return from a write until the data is really on
the disk, if I remember correctly. ext2 returns nearly immediately. In
other words, just because ext2 says the data was written to disk, it does
not make it so in reality.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.033 / U:0.060 seconds]