SubjectRe: Linux TCP Fixing everyones problems? WAS(Re: TCP push sometimes missing under 2.2.5?
> > Because Linux is bigger than the tiny little world you live in.
>
> I think the original poster of this brought up a good point; "How do
> we justify some fixes/workarounds and not others?"
>
> We don't want to drag linux down because it won't talk to certain
> version of Ultrix properly (Ultrix looses here) but in other cases it
> vital we talk to Solaris properly so these fixes go in... when is the
> line drawn?

Can a kind of "compatablity mode" like the advanced router setup in the
config, were different fixes/workarounds are listed and can be turned
on or off. This means that the kernel has work arounds for almost
everything under the sun but most folks see only the slow down that they
have to due to local broken hardware on their network. This means that
Linux works and the true cause of the problem is also highlighted.

--

Tim Fletcher .~.
/V\ L I N U X

What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.095 / U:0.172 seconds]