    SubjectRe: Static Swap
    In message <Pine.LNX.4.04.9904131205500.13739-100000@ps.cus.umist.ac.uk>, Riley
    Williams writes:
    +-----
    | There's a common misconception that the swap space one needs is
    | exactly proportional to the amount of RAM one has, and this looks like
    | a classic example of that...
    |
    | Can I state FROM EXPERIENCE that the so-called rule that swap space
    | should be 1.5 times RAM size is BOGUS!!! Some systems need much more,
    | others run happily on much less...
    +--->8

    It's not a rule, it's a general guideline for if you don't know how much swap
    you want. It's expected that as people gain experience with setting up and
    running Linux systems, they'll figure out the best swap allocation strategy
    for their systems; the amount of swap required depends on both applications
    and usage patterns, and there is no such thing as a hard and fast rule or
    formula to determine swap space.

    --
    brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
    system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu