SubjectRe: caps in elf headers: use the sticky bit!
"David L. Parsley (lkml account)" <kparse@salem.k12.va.us> said:
> On Sat, 10 Apr 1999, Daniel Taylor wrote:
> > On Sat, 10 Apr 1999, David L. Parsley (lkml account) wrote:
> > > Geez, instead of overloading the meaning of 'setuid 0', let's just
> > > use the sticky bit! I.e., sticky bit==cap flag:

No overloading, please! If you do that, I can just walk in with a tarfile
from somewhere else, or a NFS mounted filesystem, containing a doctored
binary that grants _everything_.

[...]

> > In fact, I think that _all_ binaries should have capabilities
> > specified.

> Why? Most binaries don't need any caps to do their work.

The vast mayority isn't S[UG]ID, or sticky, either...

[...]
[...]

> > Right, but why should this just apply to root? I thought that we were
> > trying to do away with the need for root on a production system
> > here, and all of the ideas being presented still depend on
> > direct action by root for all changes in capabilities.

> Yes, we're trying to do away with the need for root; but to convert a
> system over, you'll need to have a kernel around that supports both the
> magic of 'setuid 0' and the new capelf stuff, so you can fire up and run
> the system and give all your setuid root binaries the right capabilities.
> Then you can compile your kernel without the compatibility option, and
> viola! - root is just a user like any other. Note: you better make
> 'getty' and/or 'login' grant all the necessary privs in some fashion.

This is fine, as long as there is a way of doing what capabilities mandate
_without_ all-powerful root (or login(8), or getty(8), or whatever) doing
it all, or having anything to do with the whole mess. Concentrate on where
we are going to go, when that is clear check available means of
transportation.
--
Horst von Brand vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viña del Mar, Chile +56 32 672616